Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Reason to Love Rats #2- Compassion (For Owners!)

Last time I talked about how rats are compassionate for each other. Did you know well socialized pet rats are compassionate to their owners as well? Not unlike dogs, rats can sense a person's emotions and mood.

Image credit to ScienceDaily.com


Check out this article from RattyRat.com.

While projecting a negative mood can be a bad idea while trying to warm up a new rat to you, once you have bonded and the rat holds affection for you, it will be more affectionate to you, to try to alleviate your negative mood. What great pets!

I'm sure many pet rat owners can attest to this! My own ratties have been able to tell when I'm in a low mood and tend to be very generous with ratty kisses and cuddling. Just last night I was feeling depressed because of some relationship issues, and my girls cuddled up to me when I had them out on the couch. Usually they like to crawl around in the cushions, but last night their attention was on me.

Do any of my fellow ratty owners have stories of their pets trying to help them through their low moods?

1 comment:

  1. One of my newer ratlets seems to know when I'm said. She will climb right to my shoulder, reach around and nudge me in the lip with her nose until I smile :-)

    ReplyDelete